Did you know that teeth whitening is one of the most popular requests at Northridge Dental Group? According to the American Association of Orthodontists, over 90% of dental patients request having their teeth whitened. If you are considering it, but wonder about some things first, here are a few answers to common questions.
Why are my teeth not white anymore?
There are many possible reasons:
• What you put in your mouth: Coffee, tea, red wine and tobacco contain color pigments or tar that can stain your teeth. Medications like antihistamines, antipsychotics, or high blood pressure medicine can also stain your teeth.
• Medical treatments: Have you had chemotherapy or head or neck radiation treatments? A possible side effect is yellowed teeth.
• Age: Over time the natural enamel that makes your teeth look white can rub off, revealing yellow dentin underneath.
• Injury: Physical trauma can also remove enamel.
How do teeth whiteners make my smile brighter?
All whitening products contain one of two kinds of bleach: hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide. Laundry bleach breaks up the stains on your clothes, and teeth bleach does the same to your teeth. If you are going to try over-the-counter products, be sure to look at products with an ADA seal of approval. That way you know they are safe and effective. If you request teeth whitening at Northridge Dental Group, you can trust us to use gentle yet powerful products.
Does whitening work on all teeth?
Not all. Dr. Shahdad Arami can give you the most personalized advice, but here are a few guidelines:
• Yellow teeth respond well to bleach, but brown and gray tones don’t.
• Veneers, crowns and fillings are made of non-bleachable materials.
• Discoloration caused by medications or injuries are hard to remove
Want to know more? Call us at Northridge Dental Group in Northridge, California at 818-886-6100. We’ll do all we can to help your smile sparkle.